Thursday, April 26, 2012

Side effects of energy drinks

Today, in the evening as usual I went to play football. And on the way I stopped in front of a shop and grabbed an energy drink. Like yesterday, I drank the whole 300ml can of liquid on the way. I have been doing this two days on a row, now. During the first 5 minutes went fine without a hitch.
But after 5 minutes, I started to feel a burning sensation down the stomach and  I also noticed that I was sweating a lot more. Running also became hard due to pain in the stomach. So after I came home I did a research online, to find out if this is an effect of the energy drink and here is what I found out:
Caffeine in these drinks can cause dizziness, irritability, nausea, nervousness and jitters. On withdrawal it can cause headache and severe fatigue. And it has a connection to breast shrinkage in females (Seriously? 0.0). Caffeine can also affect heart rate and blood pressure too.
Sugars in energy drinks leads to obvious conditions of obesity and diabetes.
These drinks also contain B vitamins, one of them, Vitamin B3, if consumed more than 35mg can cause flushing of skin, 3000mg or more leads to liver toxicity. Another one of this vitamin, Vitamin B6, when consumed more than 100mg can cause sensory nerve problems. ie:-burning sensation. (hmm... I wonder if this is what happened.)
Energy drinks may provide an energy boost but they doesn’t provide hydration. That is it not applicable to replace water. From this I have concluded that we should avoid drinking energy drinks too often, especially during sports events without correct amount of water

No comments:

Post a Comment